Health Care Aide (HCA) - alberta, CANADA
HCA Caregiver Certificate
Must have at least one year professional care experience
Nursing board passer in country of origin
- Performs any combination of following duties in care of patients in hospital, nursing home, or other medical facility, under direction of nursing and medical staff: Answers signal lights, bells, or intercom system to determine patients’ needs.
- Bathes, dresses, and undresses patients.
- Serves and collects food trays and feeds patients requiring help.
- Transports patients, using wheelchair or wheeled cart, or assists patients to walk.
- Drapes patients for examinations and treatments, and remains with patients, performing such duties as holding instruments and adjusting lights.
- Turns and re positions bed-fast patients, alone or with assistance, to prevent bedsores.
- Changes bed linens, runs errands, directs visitors, and answers telephone.
- Takes and records temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rates, and food and fluid intake and output, as directed.
- Cleans, sterilizes, stores, prepares, and issues dressing packs, treatment trays, and other supplies.
- Dusts and cleans patients’ rooms.
- May be assigned to specific area of hospital, nursing home, or medical facility.
- May assist nursing staff in care of geriatric patients and be designated Geriatric Nurse Assistant.
- May assist in providing medical treatment and personal care to patients in private home settings and be designated Home Health Aide.